Health and Relationships Education
At the Federation of Grove House and King’s Park Infant Schools we teach RHE through the program Discovery Education Health and Relationships. This covers the statutory requirements for teaching primary Health Education and Relationships education. It contains lessons for teaching all aspects of the guidelines.
The programme consists of six broad topics:
- Healthy and happy friendships
- Similarities and differences
- Caring and responsibility
- Families and committed relationships
- Healthy bodies, healthy minds
- Coping with change
Each topic contains age-appropriate content, developing themes in a ‘spiral curriculum’ so that pupils are building on their skills and understanding each year. Each topic contains age-appropriate videos which can be used to enhance learning and broaden understanding of particular concepts.
Themes of personal safety and mental health and wellbeing are developed in an age-appropriate way and apply across these topics. These include:
- Personal boundaries and privacy
- Safety networks
- Safety skills.
- Feelings and emotions
- Resilience and self-worth
- Positive mental and emotional health and wellbeing.
The programme develops skills and knowledge in a values-based context which enables us to enhance their own values and learning powers.